What is a civilized country? or How do you recognized a civilized country? David Horton listed 25 criterias :
- The military-industrial complex plays no role in government.
- Religion plays a very small role in society, not forbidden, but not compulsory.
- Scientists, teachers, nurses, artists, are all valued more than sports people and celebrities.
- Speech is free and the media varied.
- There are few if any guns.
- The environment is cared for.
- The government does not execute its people.
- Women have full social and economic equality with men.
- Minorities are not persecuted.
- Sexuality is not a criterion for human rights.
- Education of children is universal, free and secular.
- Other species are respected, valued and protected.
- Everyone secretly votes, every vote is openly counted independent of government.
- Regulation protects people from giant corporations.
- Other countries are not invaded, war isn’t glorified.
- Wealth is not a criterion for political success, or social worth.
- Art and heritage are valued; literature, film and television increase in quality over time.
- Natural disasters bring massive state support for the hurt and homeless and helpless.
- The old, the sick, the disabled, are cared for.
- The government tells the truth.
- Public enterprise is as valued as private enterprise.
- The courts and police are independent of politicians.
- Unions flourish
- The balance between life at work and life at home is a healthy one.
- Aspirations are achievable by all.
There will be a peaceful gathering at the DBKL pound in Setapak THIS WEEKEND to protest against this case.
DATE: Saturday, 7th February 2009
Pusat Kurungan Haiwan DBKL / DBKL Health Department Pound
Off Jalan Air Jerneh
Kampung Air Kuning
Air Panas, Setapak
53300 Kuala Lumpur
The map: http://tinyurl.com/dbklpound
Please come, and spread the word to as many people as you can! Thank you!